Sites like Odyssey feature posts like “12 Things to Thank your Roommate For” is “13 Reasons You and Your Roomie are Basically a Couple.” Well, these are sweet and all, but they’re not nearly as relatable as you’d think… at least not for my roommate and me, being rather odd, creative souls. And so, inspired to one-up Odyssey and to give my roommate the shoutout she deserves, I thought I’d make my own list:
12 (Truthful) Thank-yous for my Roommate:
1. Thank you for letting me move in with you out of the blue to escape a rather unfortunate situation.
2. Thank you for understanding when I eat your chocolates that it’s a necessity.
3. Thank you for quoting me on your Tumblr; it keeps me humble and will remind posterity that I was indeed always this awkward.
4. Thanks for being my personal iPhone photographer. (See any good photos on my social media? They’re by my roommate.)
5. Thanks for bringing me towels when I bring umbrellas or phones or any other random item to the dorm shower instead and find my forgetful self utterly stranded.
6. Thanks for not letting me use knives for any and all purposes. My mother really appreciates this one.
7. Thank you for checking out my dates and being always on the lookout for red flags. (And for tolerating my giggles after a good evening.)
8. Thanks for letting my friends become your friends and completing my little circle.
9. Thank you for all of the hugs; I forget about them and am terribly awkward, but I need them as much as anyone else.
10. Thanks for not complaining about my constant dancing and singing and puns. Really, you deserve a crown in heaven for this.
11. Thank you for letting me throw story and character ideas at you randomly and helping me sort them out; you are definitely made to be a creative writing teacher.
12. Finally, thank you for having my back and being my closest friend during these past three years. This one is cliché and cheesy, but it had to be said.